Andy
Puddicombe (2012) discussed several important points about remaining present
and spending time doing nothing. For the next three days, spend time practicing
Puddicombe’s techniques. After the three days, reflect on the following in a
well-written and integrated blog post:
What is
the expected value of spending 10 minutes doing nothing? What did you learn
about yourself and your own stress through this exercise? Is this something you
will continue and will you encourage others to practice these techniques? Why
or Why not? How can remaining in the present reduce stress?
I used to
think meditation meant that we could not think about anything while meditating. It
is hard to "not think" when our minds are constantly bombarded.
Therefore, I was quite surprised when Andy Puddicombe said meditation is not
stopping our thoughts and emotions, it's stepping back to clearly look at them
(2012). Andy also noted that we are not trying to control our minds when we
meditate, we are actually looking at our thoughts without judgment (2012).
The world is always calling for my attention and sometimes the noise is most overwhelming when it’s coming from the things, people, and activities that I love. How can I take a moment of silence when work is piling up, physically and mentally? How can I take a moment of silence when the needs of my family are ever before me? How is it possible to do nothing when there are so many somethings to do? How do we quiet the rush of our body and soul? The answer to silencing the noise in our lives is physical and mental silence.
Although I have been practicing silent prayer and meditation for years, I sometimes fight against my thoughts when in those moments of silence. I was so focused on clearing my thoughts that I wasn't mentally present. Taking time to practice 10 minutes of silence while allowing myself to look at my thoughts and emotions was a good experience for me. Through this 10-minute meditation exercise, I learned that I didn't have to fight against my thoughts.
As I've been thinking about busyness in my life , I learned that busyness and
doing the things that I really want to do are two different things. Sometimes
we are so focused on the urgent that we let important things pass by (Whetten
and Cameron, 2016, p. 98). For example, I used to be the kind of person who had
a really hard time saying "no". The thing is, great opportunities
were presented to me and because they were good, fun, and noble, I thought I
should do them. I would say "yes" before praying about things or
considering previous commitments. Additionally, important things would be
neglected because of my lack of balance. However, I have learned (still learning)
that the best way for me to balance my life is to honor my priorities;
making time for prayer and meditation is one of my top priorities. If I
don't make time to be still, I know my stress level will increase and I will lack balance in my life. Therefore, meditation is a necessity for me and
definitely something I recommend for others.
Puddicombe,
Andy (2012) https://youtu.be/qzR62JJCMBQ
Whetton,
D. A. & Cameron, K. S. (2016). Developing management skills, 9th ed.
Boston, MA:Pearson.
No comments:
Post a Comment