I have taken away so many gems from this course that it would be a task to try and condense them all! Therefore, I will focus on the leadership principles that impacted me most. In our week 7 discussion, we were given the opportunity to select and write about an article on leader-empowerment; I chose to write about servant-leadership. Taking a look at servant leadership through the lens of empowerment, gave me a chance to reflect on the great experiences I had with servant-leader supervisors. I believe that I am a servant leader, but I didn't realize that leading in a servant-leader way was also an act of empowerment.
Citing Greenleaf (1991), Ingram (2016) noted that the servant leader is servant first; this begins with a natural desire to serve and then the conscious choice to serve others encourages leadership within the leader. Quoting Greenleaf (1991), Ingram (2016) stated that servant leadership essentially means serving others and placing the good of others and the organization, above self.
I didn't realize that servant-leaders actually empower others by their (servant leaders) actions. Servant-leaders put others and the organization, above themselves; they ultimately do so for the good of the organization and for the good of others. Still, servant leaders know that taking care of themselves is also essential. I believe that leaders who are focused on serving others are actually self-confident; they are self-confident because they are not afraid to watch others succeed. Servant leaders trust in their abilities so that they are able to help others grow. According to Whetten and Cameron (2016), when leaders exude a sense of confidence, followers are secure in the leader and the organization; the leader’s confidence pushes out uncertainty, insecurity, and ambiguity in the work environment.
As a result of learning so much about empowerment, I want to be more intentional about empowering others. I have come to realize that while I do empower others, I haven't been intentional about it; empowering others is a natural part of my leadership style. However, I don't want to just do things and boom, they work; I want to know why they are working; I want to pay attention to my positive and negative actions. The good news is that my actions have been good; however, I want to pay more attention to all of my leader-actions so that I may change behaviors that are not as productive.
Reflecting on my leadership style has been an empowering experience. This course has given me tools that will be used far beyond my academic studies. I look forward to the rest of my courses and I hope that they will challenge me as much as this course has challenged me!
Ingram, O. C. (2016). Servant Leadership as a Leadership Model. Journal of Management Science and Business Intelligence, 21-26.
Whetten, D. A., & Cameron, K. S. (2016). Developing Management Skills (9th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
No comments:
Post a Comment